Hey folks! Just back from another successful Giants of Design conference—this time, in Scottsdale, Arizona, and full of design inspiration and a whole lotta sun! From the expert speakers on Paolo Soleri, Frank Lloyd Wright, and the gorgeous hotel itself, inspired by organic form and neutral colors and woods, I was in mid-century heaven! What did I bring back? A slew of design ideas, inspiration, a 70's rubber sculpture, and spin art! For more, check out my Instagram, , and be sure to go forth and DESIGN!
1. MAKERS MOVEMENT: Our home for the three days of Giants of Design was the Andaz Scottsdale, designed by the uber talented EDG Design and Delawie Architecture. Much of the decor came from the local artists at Cattle Track Arts Compound… a mid-century community just minutes from the hotel, one that harkens back to the time when art colonies were thriving in the Southwest. From prints to painted columns, their hand was everywhere! Photo: Eric Laignel
2. PAOLO SOLERI: Amazing talk at Giants of Design with Roger Tomalt, who worked closely with Soleri in both architectural design and construction since 1970, and currently oversees the Cosanti site in Scottsdale...and dear friend of Paolo since the 60's, architect Michael P. Johnson, who lives in Cave Creek, AZ, and taught at Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture for 25 years.
3. ART-ART-EVERYWHERE: What a treasure! The wondrous home of Janie Ellis, with art of-every-kind, at-every-corner (amazing string art!)...on the compound of Cattle Track in Scottsdale, Arizona, an art colony formed by her parents back in the 1920's. What an enormous treat to meet Janie and get a private tour!
4. FRANK IS SO WRIGHT (love the hat too!): Giants of Design took us to Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd Wright’s School of Architecture on the outskirts of Scottsdale. This reminds me of last year, celebrating our 85th anniversary at villamladebuky, while also wishing a happy 150th to FLW—a real master architect, whose enormous influence lives on even today. Taliesin continues to serve as a monument for inspiring design minds of all ages to ultimately create a more beautiful and sustainable world via architecture. Frank, you rock! Photo: Courtesy of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
5. SPIN ART: I am obsessed! Couldn't get enough! A sampling of a few of my successful "spins"! Thanks to local artists Mark McDowell, Janet Towbin, and Chance Phillips for teaching me the tricks of the trade and taking me back to the 70's with this psychedelic fun!